Friday, April 19, 2013

solstice scents blossom jam tea cakes


Southern Tea Cakes, Petit Fours, Floral Infused Jams & Preserves and a Delicate Aroma of Tea.

I have such mixed feelings about this one. When I did my first-sniff impressions, Blossom Jam Tea Cakes was hands down my favorite. It smelled like cake and jam and I loved it. Once I put it on, however...

On my skin the tea and florals are the strongest notes. I love me some tea scents, but we all know I don't like florals. It's a white sort of floral - gardenia is coming to mind. It's slanted a bit more toward the fruity side of the fruity-floral spectrum, and I suppose it does compliment the tea nicely if you're into that kind of thing. The sweet cake is sort of the background scent, not nearly as strong as I expected from cold sniff.

As it wears the jammy fruits come out a bit more, but not as much as I'd like. The tea stays on top throughout and the floral note keeps second billing. It does soften after a few hours, but it started to give me a headache long before that point. So. 

I don't hate it, but I don't like it as much as I thought I would - it's just too flowery. And unexpectedly so, given the description - Solstice Scents' descriptions are usually quite accurate so I can only assume this is a skin chemistry thing. In general I wish I got more jam or cake - more of the stuff that doesn't give me a thundering headache, basically. Sad.

 Would I buy it again? Surprisingly, no. I love the way this smells in the bottle but it goes flower crazy on my skin and makes my head hurt. Boo, hiss. Very disappointing. I can't say that's the fault of the perfume, though - it's a lovely scent, and if it stays true-to-bottle on you I'm very jealous. I have a bottle now, though, so I'm going to try layering it. Liber Vix commented that it layers well with Chantilly Cream, so maybe that'll save it for me.

Available from: Solstice Scents

2 comments:

  1. I think I may like this more if it's less fruity. I love florals combined with foodie notes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say you might like this then! I don't know if it's just me or not, but it's way more floral than I thought it would be.

      Delete